2009/05/28

Our Victorian House - jangold

Lee and I live in an old Victorian house. You can see the sign that sits between ours and next door where the row of 4 houses is called Coronation Cottages. These 4 hours were built in 1902 and before. They are called Coronation Cottages because in 1902 Edward VII had his coronation after Queen Victoria died in 1901. The coronation however, was originally delayed due to the King having an appendicitus the day before the planned coronation. In those days I believe houses like ours were built together, the 1st being completed and then the family of the builder moving in there whilst the 2nd was built. The family moved again and the 3rd was started. Although they look the same from the outside it was a tradition to change individual characteristics inside. The 1911 census has now been released so I am going to see (with the 1901 census) who lived in these houses and what they did. Hope you enjoy the history from my little part of the world. Jan

2 comments:

  1. I loooove it! It´s so interesting live in a place with history!!Thanks for this amazing history lesson!!!!! Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love vintage, victorian, and historical things!
    Thank you for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete